.

.

Friday, June 15, 2012

Playgroup

Several years ago, our family moved to Arizona from New York after my husband finished school. It was my husband's first "real" job after law school, so the move was an exciting one for us. Not knowing what kind of hours he would be working, we chose to live near his office. This was a difficult choice to make, especially for me, because most of our family and a lot of our good friends lived in a different area of the city. I had planned on getting together with cousins, friends, grandparents, and our siblings on a regular basis. However, our home was over an hour away from just about everyone, so we were lucky if we got together once a month.

At that time, there were only a handful of families in our ward with younger children, and it seemed as if we were all searching for friendship - - for ourselves and for our children. Our Relief Society president decided to form a playgroup so we could get together regularly and get to know each other better. It was just what we needed! As my children and I attended the activities, our relationships with these new friends quickly developed and were strengthened. We truly began to care for, love and support one another. We became each other's family, shared fun times together and helped each other through difficult times too. These ladies became my very good friends, and getting to know them through playgroup was such a blessing to me at that time. I'm thankful the Relief Society president in that ward was able to see a need and help fulfill it through playgroup.

Summer is finally here, and there will be many opportunities to get together and develop relationships with one another through our ward's playgroup.  Next Thursday, June 21 at 10:00 am, we'll be getting together at the Campbell Green Splash Pad (16600 Parkhill Dr. Dallas, 75248) to play in the water. I hope lots of moms and children will be able to attend!!

2 comments:

Jeanne Grant said...

I love this concept of a playgroup and I would have loved to have raised my children around you and yours! Thank you for making this happen in our ward.

Rachel Roark said...

We'll be ready to splash next week!