.

.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Baptism

We have had Mirielle (pronounced mur-ray - I think) with us for several weeks in Relief Society and at other church meetings. She is from the Ivory Coast and her native language is French. She has been in the USA for about 1 year and has been teaching herself English. She has a 19 month old son named Yohann. She does not drive and so she has spent the majority of time in her apartment - alone.
She is getting baptized this Saturday at 5PM.
There are many complications. There is a language barrier. There is her little son who is very active and used to only being with his mother. There is her husband who has enlisted in the military so she does not know where they will be in the next year. There is her homesickness for her 10 brothers and sisters still in Africa. There is the fact that she does not drive nor have a car so she needs help getting to anything we do or any meeting we have. There is her shyness.
I always worry about new converts when I see the deck stacked so high against full fellowship in the church on an ongoing basis.
YET, I have felt Mirielle's spirit - her desire to have the TRUTH in her life - the willingness to be surrounded by new people and new customs and have courage to be part of it all - her intelligent eyes - her need to have "more" for herself and her family.
I love her gentle spirit and her quiet ways. She will need all of the sisters of this Relief Society! She needs the Holy Ghost. She needs to feel the Spirit from all of us too.
I hope we will be part of Mirielle's conversion story. It will take all of us - this sisterhood we have - to help her cement her testimony before she goes on her way!

3 comments:

barbara said...

I'm in. Good chance to practice a little French.

anne said...

I guess she speaks "some" English? I'd love you to point her out to me because I know "some" spanish, plus my medical background has taught me "latin" roots (the common parent language of spanish, french and italian). I also will make a point to ask her if she wants me to call her when I go shopping etc so she can "carpool". Good to know. I'm sure I came to at least part of the baptism before work tomarrow night; which I can do (thanks again!) cuz your "honey" is p/u my "honey" so I don't lose sleep! See ya at the baptism! :)

Just Me said...

Jeanne, thank you for being a cheerleader for Mirrelle. I think that is what the church is for. The Lord sends the missionaries to rescue the lambs and bring them to the fold. Then they are nurtured by the ward and we all return to our Father together.