.

.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Keeping the Sabbath on Vacation

It's summertime and that means family road trips for the Roark household. Recently we had a fantastic vacation to see the Mississippi cousins at the lake house while boating and skiing. Of course, no trip to see the Mississippi cousins is complete without fried catfish, fried oysters, boiled shrimp and long heated games of Trivial Pursuit. However, something was different on this vacation. I realized exactly how much I had changed since the last time we gathered. There was important information to share regarding the fullness of the gospel. Intentionally, I prepared ahead of time to keep the Sabbath. It was necessary to keep my covenant even when no one was looking. What a blessing it was to visit the Hazlehurst, Mississippi Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The same Holy Spirit was present and pervasive at their smaller meeting composed of faithful Saints. How different must be their experience as Latter Day Saints in an area where other faiths abound in great numbers. In a sense, they are pioneers bringing forth the fullness of the gospel o those around them. They gave me hope to share the message of Christ with my own family. It is important to keep the Sabbath on family vacations even when no one but the Lord is watching. He is always waiting to bless us with knowledge and inspiration wherever we may find ourselves.

Rachel Roark

3 comments:

Ruth said...

GREAT thoughts!!! Thanks Rachel for sharing this with us!

Just Me said...

Rachel I appreciate your thoughtful insights. We have attended church in many area as well, your story reminded me of one I would like to share with you . One day while on a trip with the Salt. Lake City Children's Choir we attended a high mass in St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. The choir participated in the service with several other choirs. It was impressive. Later in the day we attended a meeting of an LDS congregation held in a small rented basement room. The kids that Brent and I were assigned to chaperone were 11-17 years old. I was amazed to hear them talking about how much stronger the feeling of the Holy Spirit was in the simple LDS meeting compared with the lavish mass they had participated in earlier in the day . I had felt the same way. During mass I had a member of the tabernacle choir and a professor of vocal music singing next to me in the congregation so I really enjoyed the service but it didn't feel the same as I was used to at our ward back home. The one in the little rented room was the same.

Jeanne Grant said...

I love these thoughts - I attended the Beaufort/Islands South Carolina Ward last week and was amazed at how beautifully the church runs no matter how far away civilization feels!