.

.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Book of Mormon and Proposition 8

I have taken the challenge (and privilege) to read The Book of Mormon this year. I am in Mosiah. I have been reading Abinadi's clarion call to righteousness before King Noah. He seals his testimony with his death by fire.
Then I pick up the newspaper and read of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling that the voter approved ban on gay marriage in California has been ruled - by them - unconstitutional. (This will cause the matter to be heard before the Supreme Court.) Because I had just been reading the clear and urgent words of a prophet, there was no way I could feel neutral or "removed" from this decision and the happenings in another state.
I feel most deeply that this is a time for all Latter-day Saints to become involved with what is happening around us and make sure our voice is heard. The matters before us are not "subjective" as we have clear direction from our prophets down through the ages to the "FAMILY PROCLAMATION" scripture given to us September 23, 1995 by the Lord through Gordon B. Hinckley.
What I have found is that the more I study and read, on a daily basis, the Book of Mormon - the more I can see what is truth and what is error in life around me.
I am not one to argue politics and get caught up in rhetoric. BUT, I am a baptized, covenant making Daughter of God and what is going on around us is not about subjective beliefs on what powers State or Federal government have. The issues before us are at the very fabric of what we voted for in our Pre-Mortal Life!
Let's read the Book of Mormon, then, let's keep a very close watch on current events. (It is easy to get distracted by our personal challenges and hope the future will take care of itself.)
Let's marshal all of our prayers, fasting, and good works to sway the Powers of Heaven and our government to keep America in its sacred position as the Land of the Covenant!

1 comment:

Karen Bateman said...

I LOVED YOUR ARTICLE. I WHOLEHEARTED AGREE. EVIL WLL PERSIST IF GOOD MEN AND WOMEN DON'T STAND FOR WHAT IS TRUE. WE HAVE A LIVING PROPHET AND THE CONCRETE WORD OF GOD IN THE BOOK OF MORMON AND WE MUST STAND FOR THE SANCTITY OF THE FAMILY, AND SEARCH OUT THOSE WHO PROCEEDED US, THAT DID NOT HAVE THE GOSPEL, OR THE WHOLE EARTH WILL PERISH AT HIS COMING. IF THOSE WHO LIVE IN AMERICA CONTINUE TO SERVE THE GOD OF THIS LAND, I TRULY BELIEVE WE WILL BE PERSERVED TO CARRY FORTH HIS WORD.