.

.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

"A Society of Holy Women"

If you have read the Visiting Teaching message in the ENSIGN for the month of August, this title should be familiar. As we have heard from Julie Beck, our General RS President, a concerted effort is being made to remind us all of the wonderful history of this latter-day women's organization.
This month's visiting teaching message shares quotes from Lucy Mack Smith and Eliza R. Snow. We are reminded that we have been asked to do a very important work and it is not limited to the most financially comfortable or educated or unburdened (if there is such a person)woman in our environment.
We are ALL asked to do "HOLY" things - to be "HOLY WOMEN". To me, this means we carry out the works of the Lord under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost.
This is all ready happening in this ward. We have women diagnosed with cancer, pneumonia, and other illnesses and so many of you have stepped in and helped with laundry, food, and child care. We have women who have had to go back to work to support family - and other women who have stepped in to supply them with friendship and the sociability needed to balance the burdens. I see women with "shared" struggles opening up to each other and encouraging each other TO BE STRONG. I notice the sisters who give their time to take someone to the doctor or meet someone at the park - equally important acts of holiness.
I am privileged to see how many "HOLY" acts of charity are done at a moments notice with not a thought of inconvenience or reciprocity.
There is so much going on right now in our ward family. We have women moving; women struggling with finances; women with fragile testimonies; women with health issues; women with family troubles...(I think I have included everyone at this point!) What a difference an action of inspiration...a HOLY action might have in any of these situations!
It has been my experience that the more details I work with, the greater is my desire to help someone else. I have seen this over and over again with so many of the women in this Relief Society.
I love the women of the Dallas 4th Ward. I stand as a witness of your goodness and desire to make your environment BETTER....more HOLY.
Thank you and keep it up!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I second Jeanne's testimony of the women in this ward. I am touched by your examples of love, service, and friendship. I am also grateful for the Holy Ghost--that I can feel him in my life daily when I strive for spiritual experiences to strengthen my soul.