.

.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Jonah and Me

I am always in the habit of trying to "liken" the scriptures unto me. I had an experience with this during our hail storm last Thursday night.
I had not watched the weather and was unaware of what might be coming our way. I was preparing for bed when the winds, lightening, rain, and amazing amounts of hail started to pound on our "1970's quality" windows. I could not even figure out the direction of the storm as all of the windows on all sides of the house were getting pounded. We live behind an open field and the wind was gusting so hard I was worried we could lose our fence.
Being a brave pioneer sort, I huddled in the hall with my ears covered repeatedly praying or asking David if the worst had passed.
My mind, somehow, went to Jonah. You remember the story of how Jonah did not want to preach to the people in Nineveh so he boarded a ship and a fierce storm came up and the sailors tried to fight for the safety of the ship and did not want to throw Jonah over - and Jonah had to plead with them to do so.
It was humbling for me to think that I might not have had a second thought about throwing Jonah overboard if it meant quieting the storm.
It all gives me pause and once again, I hope I am who I want to be in the best of times and the worst of times. It was one of my "good to know" moments!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Jeanne, thank you for sharing this with us. It is good food for thought. I was also "braving" out the storm by sitting in my closet with my dog, phone, and Book of Mormon. I am grateful for the peace that can come to us when we seek for comfort and strength. I hope I can always be worthy to receive that blessing in times of physical, spiritual, and emotional storms.

Ruth G.