.

.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Nehemiah - "a mind to work"

In studying the lesson for this week, Gospel Principles #27 "Work and Personal Responsibility", I have enjoyed rereading the story of Nehemiah from the Old Testament.
Nehemiah was given permission by the King of Persia (the Israelites had been taken captive by Persia) to go back to Jerusalem to rebuild the city. He faced great opposition from the people who lived in the lands around but in the city "the people had a mind to work". (Nehemiah 4:6)
He faced persecution and threats from those around Jerusalem and they kept badgering him to come out of the city to speak with them - but - he knew they meant him harm.
He had this incredible focus and capacity to do hard work and follow through on what he knew the Lord wanted him to do. He states in Nehemiah 6:3 "I am doing a great work so that I cannot come down." He and the people of Jerusalem rebuilt the wall around the city in 52 days!
I want to be as invested in my work so that the "world" cannot distract me and that I can say - "I'm busy - I will not be distracted by you!"
One day, I am going to meet Nehemiah. I am going to let him know how impressed I was at his great example of leadership and work ethic.
He is another one of my NEW favorites from the scriptures.

No comments: