.

.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

FROM BLACKBERRIES TO DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS SECTION 138.

This morning I went out to water some flowers in my back garden, and noticed that many of my blackberries in my small blackberry patch had suddenly turned from a light red to a purplish black and were ready to harvest. As I retrieved a bowl to pick them, I immediately thought of my husband Neldon, who had watered and fussed over this little patch for a long time. Despite my limited attention, they still produce their bounty for me, as Neldon has been called to be a harvester and missionary in another sphere.
Whenever I think of my husband, or Brother Al Hall,or Brother Frank Woodbury, Brother Perry Fisher, or Brother Ed Corbett, I envision them as busy missionaries teaching the gospel to those, having been redeemed by Christ, are waiting for the fullness of the gospel and their temple covenants. After I picked all the ripe berries, I came into the house and decided to read the 138th section of the Doctrine and Covenants. It is the vision given to President Joseph F. Smith on October 3, 1918. It tells that the Savior, during the three days He was in the tomb, before His glorious resurrection, visited and ministered unto the righteous dead.

In Pres. Smith's vision, verse 57. he beheld that many faithful elders of this dispensation, when they depart from mortal life, continue their labors in the preaching of the gospel of repentance and redemption to those who are in darkness and under bondage of sin in the great world of the spirits of the dead.


In verse 58 it says that the dead who repent will be redeemed, through obedience to the "ordinances of the house of God". I know that through the atonement of Christ, and though the the preaching of the righteous elders from this dispensation, and from searching our ancestors, and finally taking those names to the temple - we can bring about the great plan of our Heavenly Father and seal families together forever. Take 10 minutes and read Section 138 of the Doctrine and Covenants - it will give you a vision of who we are working for on June 8th - the Dallas 4th Generations Project.