.

.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Better vs. Bitter

I read an article in the newspaper about a young man from Sudan who has quietly been supplying after-school snacks for a middle school band. A mother had asked the store for donations of produce as the snacks and the young man had taken it upon himself, with his meager wages and no thought of himself, to bring this offering to the children after school. When the mother found out how the snacks were supplied, she was shocked and asked him why he was doing this. He replied that he loved children and loved to give!
She found out that he was one of the "lost boys of Sudan" who had crossed their country to be saved from slaughter during a civil war. He was on his own, without family, and had just graduated from Richland College. He was upbeat, hopeful, and saving to visit his family in Sudan - whom he had not seen since he was 6 years old.
What I love about this story is that he details did not make him BITTER. His life events had served to just make him BETTER.
We have many opportunities to serve in this ward right now. Many of us feel challenged by our details or experiences. My question to myself - and to you if you choose to think about it - is if my past experiences have made me more willing to help despite the circumstances? Or do I withhold because I judge the others' situation against my own and find them wanting too much - or the help one might require not given to me when I was "in need".
In this life, have my experiences made be BETTER or BITTER. I always, hope - I am better for all I have been through but time and my willingness to serve and give will be the telling point!

No comments: