.

.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Two Cans of Corn, September 2009 Ensign

There is an awesome article in the new September Ensign. It is called "Two cans of corn: Home Storage for Newlyweds."

A bishop gave a new couple advice to watch what was on sale each week. When they went shopping, they were to buy a few cans each time. It was so cheap they wouldn't notice the extra cost, but over time their food supply would increase. Their first purchase was two cans of corn. Six months later the husband lost his job, and they relied on the storage they had. The article continues on to talk about storing you food storage, saving money, how to increase your short term storage, and gaining a testimony of food storage.

My husband and I started this way when we got married three years ago, and we still have to build our food storage this way. We don't have a lot of extra money every month to buy large amounts of food storage. We buy a few cans and cases of water each paycheck. We have also been fortunate that my dad has "gifted" us several cases of food storage from the cannery for birthdays and Christmas. We live in a very small apartment, but have found ways to incorporate these boxes and cans into our home, because we know how important it is to have this storage. They are in our closets, under our bed, stacked in the corner of the kitchen, etc. I admit that I was kind of embarrassed that these boxes were visible, but we have had many missionary opportunities to explain to our friends the importance of food storage and self reliance. They are a conversation starter for sure!

I have a testimony that no matter how small the effort, you will be blessed. Even if you can only buy two cans at a time, your efforts and diligence to follow the Prophet will not go unnoticed to the Lord. There are so many resources online to help with your storage, and our own ward even has Sister Pyne who is SO knowledgeable in food storage. She is so excited about it and willing to help anyone. I would love to hear other people's experiences with food storage as well!

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Thanks "DI" for this message today. It's nice to hear from other newly weds (relatively speaking) that food storage is a possibility, despite living in a tiny apartment. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jeanne Grant said...

I am not a newlywed but I am in a new time of my married life with NO children at home - back to the beginning and it is always good to think about how to start over with real food storage solutions - THanks!!

Melissa said...

Love this, Di! Thanks so much! :-)

Karen Bateman said...

Diana, your are amazing - I am down to just one person and I just buy a few cans each week and also order something everytime Christie orders, and when I want to save money one week - I just eat mostly off my supply with a little fresh produce from the store. Thanks for sharing - I loved it.