.

.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

"PRETEND" to engage

I listened/watched this 2012 October Conference and now I am reading it. I am at the end of the Saturday morning session - President Uchtdorf's talk "Of Regrets and Resolutions". Reading these sermons often gives me greater insights into what the Lord would like to see me do differently and I try to really pay attention to those things. BUT...I also love to read truths I all ready fervently believe and try to implement in my life right now.
One of the ideas he presents is the way social media mimics real relationships. He speaks of "pretending to spend time with others by the click of a mouse". I am such a big believer in one on one, eyeball to eyeball communication. I need to see your face when I speak with you so I can tell how my words are being received. I do not know how to "read" those expressions in emails or Facebook posts. (Actually, that is kind of an exaggeration as I am not on Facebook but you get what I mean.)
Most who know me know I do not have a cellphone so I do not get text messages or pictures over the phone. You have to leave a message for me on my home (land line) phone and wait for me to get it. But when I return the call, I do it when I can talk and so conversations can be expansive and we can both feel heard and understood.
I love people. I love the people in my life. I never find it satisfying to have a one word conversation with anyone! And I definitely do not like to have a conversation where the spelling is done in a phonetic shorthand.
In this area of my life, "pretending to spend time with others", I have no regrets. If you know me well at all, I do not PRETEND anything!

No comments: