.

.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Recipe For Using Your Food Storage

I know some of you may have ordered "Tomato Powder" in #10 cans the same time I did (two or three years ago) . I just recently pulled mine out so I could rotate it. It seems to work pretty well and the directions are easy enough on the can. You can use this in place of any canned tomato sauce or tomato paste. It stirs up instantly. Lately I used it to make a jar of spaghetti sauce go further. Instead of using two standard size jars/cans of spaghetti sauce, I just used one and then used my tomato powder/water plus some very simple seasoning. This is just basic cooking...nothing amazing...so don't expect gourmet. Sometimes that's just what we need, though...quick and easy ways to rotate. So, if you have a large-ish family and don't mind leftovers for the next day, or want to freeze a portion of sauce for another occasion, you can give this a try.
Beef (or any meat) Spaghetti Sauce (Extended with Tomato Powder)
1. Cook 2 lbs. of Ground Beef as usual and drain/remove fat.
2. Add one can or jar of pasta/spaghetti sauce (about 26 oz)--any flavor.
3. In the empty jar/can put 1/4 c powder and 1/2 cup water, or you can go further with 1/2 cup tomato powder and 1 cup water and shake/stir to the consistency you like. That's what the directions are on the can, but I used closer to 1/2 c. powder and 2+ cups water because I like it runnier. Just add the amount of water you like to the amount of powder you like to make it what you want.
4. Add seasonings to taste... Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and Italian seasoning. I'm sorry to say, I don't always measure my seasonings, but start with about 1/2 teaspoon each of oregano and Italian seasoning. You can always add more. You're on your own for the others I mentioned. If you are a spaghetti sauce connoisseur, then add whatever else you like. (If you really are a spaghetti sauce connoisseur, then you're probably making the whole thing from scratch and you need to be giving us YOUR recipe!
That's basically it. Freeze half for later if you like. Good Luck.

1 comment:

Jeanne Grant said...

I want a can of this!! I did not order it but I am often extending my tomato sauces.
You are such a great resource Kim-