.

.

Monday, February 10, 2014

"Authority"

Normally I enjoy a good swim but after an hour of being knocked around in the ocean it was about time to be done with this part of the triathlon. During the race, the competitors swim around large bright buoys. Reaching the buoys gives a slight amount of satisfaction until you realize the distance to your next far off buoy. I had just rounded a buoy, looked up and did not see the next buoy. Some guy was floating in a boat nearby and I asked him, "Which way do we go?" He pointed to the pier. After switching directions, I realized that the current was no longer in my favor. I decided to redouble my efforts and was still not getting very far very fast. Five minutes later a woman on a jet ski wearing race apparel arrived, pointed in the opposite direction and told me to head for the buoy. Swimming was much easier when I knew in which direction to head. Although the well-meaning boater was trying to help out, he did not seem to be aware that a triathlon was actually happening. "Listen to those in Authority" was the lesson I learned in the ocean that day in Key West, Florida. The jet ski lady with the clearly identified shirt was a better source of information than a random spectator on the boat. 

And so it is with our church leaders. Our church leaders know that there is a race going on and they know the path to take. Well-meaning "helpful" people who are not in authority may try to direct us but they don't really know where to go. The authority of the Priesthood ultimately makes all the difference within our church. Listen diligently and you'll stay the course. 

Rachel Roark

3 comments:

kfarmer said...

Great post Rachael

Jeanne Grant said...

I appreciate the way you see "truth" in so many aspects of your life Rachel. Thank you for sharing this!

Bonnie said...

I love that analogy Rachel. Also, I am impressed that you would attempt a tri!