.

.

Friday, May 25, 2012

TEMPLE READY NAMES? DON'T JUST LOOK BACK!

We are preparing for our Relief Society Temple Day on Tuesday June 26th - There are a number of ways to do genealogy and temple work, and certainly  those of us who prepare to go to the temple, find the experience is always sweeter, when we can take our own family "temple ready" names.  The stake genealogy library at the Bowser Bldg  is available with people waiting to help.  We just have to round up what information we already know about our family, and then take the time and  initiative to find out when the library is open, and then go and discover.

I am a fifth generation Latter-day Saint,and three of my four lines, came to America to join this great latter day movement in furthering the Gospel of  Jesus Christ throughout the world.

There have been some ambitious and faithful genealogists in my family, and a great deal of the temple work has already been done.  In 2006, I decided I wanted to take my very own family name to the temple.  I made  it my New Year's Resolution, I told my Heavenly Father that it was a great goal I had.  I made it a matter of daily prayer,  I called and talked with so many relatives  to see if anyone was working on some lines not showing up in Family Search, and then I began to work.  I went to  the library here, and spoke with several great genealogist in the area, to help me pinpoint my search.   I went to visit family in Salt Lake, and we took several trips to  the large library  the church maintains.  I talked with several great genealogy "detectives", who work full time there.  In the end, my lines were still stopping with various problems, where they had before I began.  In essence, I found that there was a " very good" reason, each  line stopped where it did. 

 One night,  nearly the end of July,   I was pouring out my heart to the Lord in prayer.  I felt frustrated, I had really tried, where should I go next, what should I do.  Later that night, as I was brushing my teeth. I had the distinct impression to "LOOK AROUND AND GO FORWARD'  I  thought about it, and dismissed it. because I didn't understand my prompting -  all my ancestors are backward not forward.

Three days later, my Dad called, and said "You know I have been worrying about Aunt Marion's  (his sister) work.  She was baptized, but never endowed or sealed, and she has been dead nearly two years." I immediately felt one of those little electrical shocks, that I have been pricked wth over my lifetime.  Exactly - I had never thought of anyone I knew, someone who was contemporarily here on the earth with me.  Not only was there my Aunt Marion, but my Uncles Bob and Paul, and three cousins (all younger than me) who have predeceased me without the gospel.  Actually, my Dad and I did 7 family names in all at the St. George Temple.  My Aunt Ruth died about 14 months ago, and my daughter  Rebecca is taking her name through the temple this month.

So when you are working on Temple names, look back of course, but also look around and look forward .   Also, remember to look and reach up to our Heavenly Father, who is waiting to help us do this work.