.

.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

December Thoughts

Well Christmas is fast approaching, and as I addressed Christmas Letters to family and friends who don't live in Dallas, I thought what a blessing I have enjoyed living iin the Dallas 4th Ward for oh so many years. The Relief Society Christmas Party was an amazing start to the Christmas Season. I loved Bonnie's marvelous food, Annie's beautiful home, and all of you sisters with your special gifts which you shared that night.
I had the Laurels and Priests come and sing Christmas Carols in my home. I had the Bishop stop by with a beautiful Widow's basket, and my neighbors came caroling last night, and brought a big box of Texas grapefruit. It is a great place to live.
I am excited about studying the teachings of George Albert Smith this next year in Relief Society. He was so loving and kind, and he always took time to get to know people, and make them feel like the most important person he had met. When he died, he got lots of accolades, even from the President of the United States. However when his little 5 year old neighbor knocked on the door to come and visit him, and was told he had died, he said,. "Oh, no, he was my best friend." The family asked him to be an honorary pallbearer.
President Smith once said, "Our Happiness is in direct proportion to our Charity".
That is so true, when we forget self and serve others, when we stop looking in the mirror and look out the window to see who needs help we find our greatest happiness. December is a great month to look around, see who might need our "special touch" to ease their burden or loneliness. or just increase their joy!
Our R.S. Presidency has decided on a new theme for the coming year: Resolve to do it - Come what may! Be more loving, more charitable, a better wife or mother or grandmother, a better student of the scriptures, a better temple attender, a better disciple of Christ, whatever we resolve to do - Come what may! Whatever our details, whatever our trials, we as Daughters of God in the Dallas 4th Ward, will resolve to do it!

2 comments:

Jeanne Grant said...

I love this and want to submit for church publication!!! We are so lucky to have you in our midst Karen.

Ruth Hale :) said...

Karen the phrase "the angel will quote from it" came to mind as I read your lovely Christmas message. Thanks for being such a great inspiration.