.

.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Women and Books

We had our Book Interest Group meeting at Barbara Doerk's home last night. She is a generous hostess and there is always something fun to eat!
We discussed books we had read or not read over the summer months. And it reminded me of a Relief Society memory.
My mother was a convert to the church and one of the founding members of a small branch in the Imperial Valley, California. She often served in the Relief Society Presidency and as a teacher too. They met on Tuesdays and had a different course of study for each week. My mother's favorite was the week of "Cultural Refinement". The text was called, "Out of the Best Books", and it was an anthology of all the best of human literature down through the ages. Mother found the discussions very invigorating and gave her something to think about besides her 11 children (her words - not mine)!
We now meet only on Sunday so our lessons are of a different nature. The leaders have given us the concept of having the "invigorating" discussions our mothers might have had on the old Tuesday or Wednesday Relief Society Meetings in the form of "Interest Groups".
Hence, this reading group. For some, they would like reading to be stimulating like a good hike or a long jog/run. For others it is passive entertainment used to distract from the everyday.
BUT, as we saw/experienced last night, there are as many reasons and books to read as there are women!


3 comments:

barbara said...

Jeanne, I'm glad you posted something so I could add a comment. I relished the discussion about books different sisters read. It gave me ideas of books I would like to read and some insight into my Ward Sisters that I would never have otherwise.

I'm not as old as your mother, but I remember when we met during the week in RS on a weekly basis and my favorite week was the Cultural Refinement week and, ESPECIALLY, when we discussed good books to read. I enjoyed the after-book-club discussions, as well.

barbara said...

I had a great time at book club and enjoyed the discussions and laughter. I also got some great book suggestions. It's always fun to bethel know your Ward Sisters better. The post-book club discussion was also enjoyable.

Petersen Family said...

It was a fun night and I find that our lives are so enriched when we can gather together and love eachother for who we are. I learned that we are so different and yet can gather in a room and enjoy our differences, plus the books are fun too.