.

.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

MOMENTS I'LL REMEMBER. . . . .

I just returned from two weeks in Utah, celebrating the 75th Wedding Anniversary of my parents. I had all my children there, and most of my grandchildren (three grandsons are on missions). We spent three days celebrating with dinners, a family party, a photo session and a trip to the temple. It was a busy time with lots of people around. As I think back on the experience today - I realize that life really is made up of moments of time rather than events. It was an event for sure, few people ever achieve 75 years married - in fact this was only the second time I have attended a 75th anniversary - the first was Mae and Gil Housley down at Turtle Creek years ago.

But, what I remember are the moments. One day, I walked, with my Dad, all around his beautiful garden, and we cut flowers to take to Neldon's grave for Father's Day. Another day, I sat on the grass with my little granddaughter Regan and showed her how to make a doll with Hollyhock Flowers. I helped my daughter Rebecca work on a a quilt she was making while we waited for her home-made bread to come out of the oven. I went with my daughter Lori to buy fabric to drape the tables for my granddaughter's upcoming wedding.

These are moments of time that weave the fabric of our lives. One of my favorite moments was going to the Temple with all my children and their spouses, and my parents. I know that my sweet husband Neldon was also there. Life passes quickly - we have to savor the moments - they come mixed in with all the work, anquish, pain and joy that this second estate. earth has to offer.

I'm looking forward to have "a moment" in the Temple with all my friends from the Dallas 4th Ward on July 12th. I remember last year at the first D-4 Generations Project, going early to do initiatories, and 6 sisters gathered from the ward, and another 6 showed up an hour later -it was one of those great moments. . . . .Let's do it again. . . .

3 comments:

Linda S said...

Karen, you write so beautifully ... have you ever written for publication?

Jeanne Grant said...

I agree with Linda - you should write a book! But start it AFTER you serve in RS Presidency!!!

Karen Bateman said...

No - I did some articles back in the '70s in the Millential Star when we lived in London. But that's the extent of my writing. Thanks for the compliment!