.

.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What's Fresh!

I came to Dallas in 1975 after David and I graduated from BYU. I had grown up in a farming community in California and was at a loss as to the "how or when" to buy any fresh fruit or produce in Dallas.
(I do not want to promote a store on this blog - but I have to say that Sprouts makes it easy for any novice to find what is in season and picking it ripe and ready to eat.)
So ladies, while we might complain about the heat, the summer is produce heaven. Right now one can find "fresh" artichokes; corn; cucumbers; eggplant; all sorts of greens; onions; peppers; all the melons; avocados; summer squash; blackberries; blueberries; cherries; grapes; mangoes; nectarines; plums; pineapple; strawberries; and oranges!!!
It would be a fun Saturday morning activity to go downtown Dallas (1010 S. Pearl) to our Farmer's Market. It is large and well laid out and you can eat breakfast or lunch for free with all the samples they hand out!
It may be hot right now but there is never a reason NOT to enjoy one of the benefits of summer in Dallas - the fruits and vegetables!!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I'm always wondering how to pick ripe fruit. I've recently learned that a watermelon should sound hollow. Thanks Jeanne for posting this fun idea.