.

.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

To Remember My Father

I was 13 when my father died. He was a huge influence in my life. I remember when I was in the 7th grade and ready to run for a Jr. High student body office. I had decided to run for secretary or treasurer as these were "female" offices back in my day. NO girl would run for president or even vice-president. My father was very sick by this time and home in bed. I told him of my idea to run for a student body office and he encouraged me to run for president. I told him of the impossibility for a girl to win and he retorted that I could be the first OR at the very least I should "try". His words the best I remember are "you cannot ever lose if you try". I did lose, by a very large margin. And I was mad at myself - at the time - for listening to my father. I have since come to appreciate the ennobling affect of "trying".
I have always missed my father. This has not diminished with time. But, to repeat his wise offerings to my children and grandchildren, to live a life of worth and effort - to keep TRYING - this is a way to always remember him!

No comments: