.

.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Can I Help You Save Some Time?

I know we're all busy, so here's a little tip I'll share with you that might save you some time. I know what it's like to be raising little ones and to have those small people (or big people, phone calls, work or ANYTHING) needing your attention while you're trying to get dinner on the table. This was a little tip I learned while working in the food prep areas of various cafeterias at BYU. This is free advice for you, and you won't even have to pay four years' worth of college tuition for it!
One day I was helping the head cook make huge pans of lasagna (I think), and she dipped into a giant 6 gallon pail with her large measuring cup and scooped out the seasoning for her dish. I asked, "What's in there???" and she answered by telling me it was a seasoning mix with all the basic seasonings in one place. HERE'S THE RECIPE:
All-Purpose Seasoning
Basically this contains mostly salt, then equal portions of the other three (less pepper if you don't like that much). The amount of salt is also more or less, according to your taste. You could add other things if you like.
1 1/2 cups salt
1/4 cup garlic powder (not salt)
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl/container and mix/shake until evenly distributed. Fill a pinch bowl by your stove or a shaker-type container (new/clean used) and keep handy. Extra mix can be used to refill. Seasoning can be used for meat, fish, grilling, pasta salads, casseroles...you name it. The sky's the limit.
I hope this helps!

1 comment:

Jeanne Grant said...

Can I give you a big hug???