.

.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

"Is Not This the Fast that I have Chosen?"

This week we are studying "Is Not This the Fast that I have Chosen?" given by President Eyring during the April 2015 General Conference. He started out his talk with Isaiah's words about fasting in Isaiah 58, where we are promised that our fast can:

 -loose the bands of wickedness
 -undo heavy burdens
 -free us from oppression
 -break every yoke that binds us

I would invite each of you to think of the very personal and intimate needs of yourself and your family. Applying this verse, think of the ways that you could be blessed by the law of the fast in greater measure.

I would also invite each of you to sit down at some point this week and prayerfully read and ponder both president eyring's talk and Isaiah chapter 58. Allow the spirit to teach you about the power of fasting by bringing back to your memory the experiences you have already had with fasting, as well as giving you a hope for the blessings you can receive in the future through observance of the law.

I am continually so grateful for each of you. When you share your experiences and bear your testimonies during relief society, the spirit carries the simple truths of the gospel to my heart and broadens my understanding. I look forward to learning about fasting with you on Sunday.


Claira Wilson

No comments: