.

.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Nope. I'm a Mormon.

So, I have hired a personal trainer because it is a goal of mine to finish a Half Ironman race next year.  Every fall semester of veterinary school that I attended seemed to finish the day before the big Ironman triathlon in Kona, Hawaii.  Inevitably, I would go out and party the night after my last final exam, stay out really late, and wind up in a semi-hungover stupor. The next day was spent on the couch while drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes. The thought of a day-long race fascinated me and captured my imagination but it just seemed like something that happened to other people. Last week during my first visit for personal training, the trainer asked me if I smoked cigarettes.  My response was, "Nope. I'm a Mormon." He had a puzzled look on his face, checked the question off my chart and proceeded down his list. "Do you drink alcohol?", he asked. Again, my response was, "Nope. I'm a Mormon." The trainer had the same confused look but managed to compliment me on my good habits. Question number three was whether I drank coffee and if so, how many cups per day. I just shrugged my shoulders and shook my head no. He smiled and asked, "The Mormon thing again... right? When did you get into that?"  My response was that I had become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints about a year ago. When I got home, I reflected on exactly how far I've come since sitting on a couch surrounded by pizza boxes, drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes while watching Ironman on TV. Imagining that moment, I can still feel the utter sense of physical exhaustion, the dull headache, the trouble catching my breath, coughing up some nasty phlegm, the stink of my clothes, and the queasy stomach which was brewing an ulcer. After awhile, people who don't obey the Word of Wisdom start to consider this sad physical state to be a normal way of life.  So for those of you who have never violated the Word of Wisdom and wonder what it's like on the other side, you're not really missing out on much of anything. The Word of Wisdom is a privilege to follow. It frees us up to work on spiritual problems instead of physical problems. Currently, I'm enjoying health to my navel and marrow to my bones and the Destroying Angel is nowhere in sight. And I am trusting that God will make good on his promise that I will walk and not grow weary, run and not faint.... at least until I make it to the finish line of my first Half Ironman.

by Rachel Roark

5 comments:

Jeanne Grant said...

I love these thoughts and want you all to know that I, too, am so grateful for the Word of Wisdom and all the many truths that bring me peace and joy - I will not be completing in an Ironman - but I am proud to live through Rachel!!

nitwhitz said...

Again, Rachel...your post impresses and astounds me! Love reading them!

Brenda P said...

Your awesome Rachel. The Lord sure does know what to do with us more than we know.

Rachel Roark said...

You are all so sweet! Thanks for the feedback. I made it through the first week of training and completed all the workouts. IRONically, I think I'm going to do the Half Ironman in St. George, Utah since it is one of the only ones on a Saturday. Never been to Utah before so I'm looking forward to it.

Alissa said...

Rachel I loved this post! Thank you for your time and your thoughts!