.

.

Thursday, July 23, 2015

"Why Marriage, Why Family"

This Sunday we have the opportunity to study D. Todd Christofferson's talk, "Why Marriage, Why Family" from the April general conference of this year.

I invite you to study and ponder this modern scripture so that the Holy Ghost can teach you the truths that this talk contains. I also invite you to take some time to really study and ponder the doctrine of the plan of salvation and consider the role that marriage plays in that great plan. As you do this, consider Christofferson's questions, 'In what way does marriage between a man and a woman transcend their love for one another and their own happiness to become “a post of responsibility towards the world and mankind”? In what sense does it come “from above, from God”?'

As I read this talk, I was particularly impressed with the eternal significance of marriage in the Lord's Plan of Salvation. The spirit brought clarity to my mind as I read Christofferson's words: 'A family built on the marriage of a man and woman supplies the best setting for God’s plan to thrive . . . The social science case for marriage and for families headed by a married man and woman is compelling. And so “we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.” But our claims for the role of marriage and family rest not on social science but on the truth that they are God’s creation.'

Finally, I invite you to consider how you can protect your own family from a "seemingly infinite array of immoral thoughts and acts" surrounding sexuality, marriage, and family.

I look forward to our discussion and pray that spirit can teach each of us the truths that we need to learn and how we can apply them in our lives.

Claira Wilson

1 comment:

laura said...

I wish I could have been there for this lesson! Love you!