.

.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Brother Sessions

During much of my childhood, my father suffered from kidney disease. My mother had to return to work teaching first grade at our local elementary school. It was not unusual to come home to my father in bed and if no one else was home yet, be automatically in charge of my father's care.
When I was in the sixth grade, my father had a serious surgery of some kind that required an incision in his abdomen. I came home from school to my father calling out. He was bleeding profusely from the incision. I asked my father what I should do? He was coherent enough to tell me to call our home teacher, Brother Sessions. It was 3 o'clock in the afternoon and I did not think Brother Sessions would be home at that time. I also did not know his number.
Somehow I had the presence of mind to find the correct home number for a Bill Sessions on Holt Ave. I called it and he answered. For some reason I cannot remember, he had stopped by his home (2 blocks from mine)during the workday. He came right over and took charge. He helped stop the bleeding and called the ambulance and gave Dad a blessing. All of those actions saved Dad's life. I will always love Brother Sessions and the power and authority of the priesthood he used that day. My father would go on to live two more years.
This week's lesson from the Teachings of George Albert Smith #5 is on the Priesthood.
I can tell you all - that I KNOW the power that comes from God through the righteous use of His Priesthood is restored and real. It has blessed my life in a very direct way from the beginning of my gospel life.
And continues to do so to this very day!

No comments: