.

.

Monday, December 1, 2014

Sisters,

I loved listening to Bishop Monroe's lesson yesterday during the combined RS/Priesthood meeting.  During the lesson my mind drifted back to when I was a young mother of five small children, ranging in age from one year old to 8 years old.  Our family had just relocated to Houston as part of a job promotion.  We were there three weeks when my husband informed me that he wanted to pursue a different life which would not include me.  I remember the deepest of sorrows piercing my soul.

One day I took my children on a bike ride (an activity we so often did when they were young).  I had the one year old in a seat on my bike.  I had my 2-1/2 year old in a trailer behind me and the three older children were riding their own bikes.  As we rode that day, I was pleading with Heavenly Father for help and guidance.  I did not know how I would be able to move on.  I had been a stay-at-home mother.  I would now need to find employment.  How would I juggle work and being a good mother to these amazing five children?  How would I manage to raise the children on my own?  Would I have enough time to teach them Gospel truths so they would stay close to the church?

As I was pouring my heart out to Heavenly Father, a feeling of peace came over me.  I specifically remember the sun shining down on me and the cool breeze blowing on my face and through my hair.  While I was internalizing all of this beauty which was in stark contract to my emotions, I distinctly heard a voice which said to me, "Everything is going to be ok."  And that promise has been fulfilled.

While this experience was seventeen years ago, I can vividly recall all of the feelings and emotions of that day.  I am forever grateful for God's creations.  Anytime I go outside and the sun is shining and the wind blowing, no matter what is happening in my life I am immediately at peace.  I also learned from this experience that Heavenly Father knows me personally.  He knows my sorrows and heartaches as well as my triumphs.  I know he loves ME and cares for ME; and I know He answers prayers.

Sisters, I hope you will take the time to reflect upon your lives and to recall those times when you have felt of Heavenly Father's love for you.  I testify that He does care for each of us, that He does know each of us by name, that He does answer prayers, and that He is there for us whenever we need Him.  I am so thankful for "all His creations of which I'm a part!  Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me."

Love,
Natalie Marstella
RS President

3 comments:

Jeanne Grant said...

I love this - thank you!

Ruth said...

Natalie, thank you so much for sharing this personal story with us. I, too, have a testimony of Heavenly Father's love for us. Thank you for this charge to remember the times I have felt His love in my life. And I love YOU! (Ruth G)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this Natalie! It is just what I needed to hear.