.

.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

"Lent"

  
  Even though The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints does not celebrate Lent, I will always be a Louisiana Girl at heart. As latter-Day Saints, it's kind of Lent all year round as we invade the blessings of the atonement through fasting, prayer, and personal repentance.  It is important to take a memento to pause and reflect on the life of the Savior. The Lenten season has always been a time of self-examination for me.  Lent is a time to work on that one annoying habit that just need to go.  

  This year, my focus will be two-fold; first, we will be spending more time as a filmily in the "physical wilderness" through camping and hiking to remind us of the Savior's 40 day fast in the wilderness.  Second, I will be spending more time in my own "spiritual wilderness" by increasing my temple attendance.  The scripture that keeps coming to my mind is Doctrine & Covenants 88.  There is so much material jam packed into this one section of scripture.  My personal commitment is to read Doctrine & Covenants 88 morning & night every day during this time to increase my faith. Here are two often quoted verses from Doctrine & Covenants 88:
49 The light shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth it not; nevertheless, the day shall come when you shall comprehend even God, being quickened in him and by him.
50 Then shall ye know that ye have seen me, that I am, and that I am the true light that is in you, and that you are in me; otherwise ye could not abound.

Rachel Roark

1 comment:

Jeanne Grant said...

Thank you for these insights Rachel - I am rereading D&C 88 right now!