.

.

Thursday, November 22, 2012

To be thankful...

I was in charge of the games this year at our family Thanksgiving dinner. I decided to do Bingo as it goes across the ages of the children and then I really invested in some great prizes. There were 16 people - young and old - playing Bingo and we would play the same card till everyone won something.  David put all the prizes out for all to see and the first ones who won were in ecstasy and the rest would get more and more concerned about the prizes left as time went on. By the end of the game, everyone had a prize - but - not all were "content" with what they had won. There had been just too many possibilities.
When we were finished, I asked them to look around at who was "thankful".
The room got a little quieter as I talked about how hard it is to see the blessings when there are just SO many blessings to see.
I know we live in difficult times. I know there are many negatives in the way the world is headed. Yet I sometimes think I am like one of my grandchildren who has a hard time seeing all the good because I would like it just a little better or someone might have some blessing I see as more desirable.
I am so thankful this day for all of you. I am thankful for Priesthood leadership in this church and this ward. I enjoy serving with Bishop Monroe and thankful for all the good he brings to his calling. I am thankful for my counselors and all with whom I serve in this Relief Society. I am thankful for temples and covenants and family and friends and food and books and on and on.
I  am most thankful for a wonderful Elder Brother Jesus Christ and His belief in me and my abilities to repent and change.
I think it is so important to not look at someone or something else and wish to have what they have as if life was a Bingo game!
I pray TO BE THANKFUL for what I have...to have what I want that is right before the Lord and more importantly...to want what I HAVE.


No comments: