.

.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Next BEST Holiday is....General Conference!

Ever since David was a Bishop (25 years ago), I have looked at General Conference as the best family event of the year. Of course in 1987, we would have to go to the Stake Center to watch it but David was right on the row with me and our very bored (can't lie on this one) 7 children. I would plan for Sunday (Saturday was not really an option as they had so many games/sports) like for a vacation with all things needed to keep them distracted (no pretending they would be as enthralled as me) while I soaked up enough "spiritual courage" to last another 6 months.
THEN, came General Conference on cable and that meant I could stay home and watch conference and not care as much how the children acted which was even a bigger high for me. By then David was in Stake leadership so he would take all the children to the Stake Center for the Sunday afternoon session and I would be home alone to hear and feel and think - all at the same time.
Now, with the calling I have and the Sunday responsibilities involved, General Conference is once more an oasis of calm, peace, instruction, and inspiration. It seems even emergencies take a break for Conference!
I find myself counting the days till General Conference (10 days) and wondering what "theme" I will hear from the Lord and which ways my conscience will be pricked and how much peace I will feel. I need this General Conference - a "fire hose" full of water to my well.
This Sunday will serve as our Fast Sunday and I will be teaching the President's Message. And, as you might guess, I will be talking about PREPARING FOR GENERAL CONFERENCE to have the greatest spiritual impact. Please come with a memorable conference address or a personal shift you have made from the impact of a conference talk.
We are on a countdown...10 more days!

No comments: