.

.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Salvation NOT Entertainment

I have been going over some training for my calling on the church website. I often feel the need to gauge how and what I are doing against all the instruction available.  I just listened/watched a video of training done by our former General Relief Society President, Julie Beck. She said something that struck me and makes me want to do more - do better. She stated that "Relief Society is not in the ENTERTAINMENT business but the SALVATION business."
That was obvious, again, yesterday as Angelina Athian taught part of a lesson. She was so nervous and did not feel she had a sufficient command of English to teach our group. She was concerned about how to engage interest - or some might say, entertain - the class.
Yet once she began to share her testimony, the Spirit in the room became very strong. Several women noticed this and commented on it. Her words were SAVING in nature and affect.
It was also humbling to watch Ruth assist her in this lesson and the rest of the women jump in to add their own testimonies.
I want this Dallas 4th Relief Society to have energy, compassion, verve, and most of all - a way to see and understand our way to SALVATION.
I have to admit I do like to be entertained but I will take SALVATION over momentary diversion anytime. And I have so many of you to thank for being part of what makes this happen in our D4 Relief Society - week after week.

1 comment:

Rachel Roark said...

You are so absolutely right about that class, Jeanne. I woke up that morning thinking about Angelina and praying that she would feel like should could share her spiritual gifts. Had no clue that she was to be the teacher that day. What a special moment when she shared her testimony in spite of her fears.