.

.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"I CAN SEE THE WORLD IN MY OWN GARDEN"

I have been working in some flower beds in my back yard, and just pondering how Heavenly Father gives us so much symmetry in all his creations. I love perennial flowers - they come back every year, generally stronger and more beautiful than the year before. I can depend on them, their roots are deep and strong and they are always ready to contribute - I love people like that as well. I know they will be committed and perform, and their "testimony roots" grow stronger every year.

I can compare the noxious weeds as I struggle to pull and clean them out, as the persistent trials and struggles and miserable developing habits, we deal with everyday. I know that if I don't clean out every bit of the root, they will be right back.

Every year I buy a few annual flowers - they are beautiful and make a big splash and then they are gone, until I spend more money to replace the following year. I have met people like that as well - Very showy, but with little staying power. Fortunately, I don't have much money for annuals.

I love the trees in my yard, tall, strong, deep rooted. Some even produce a product like pears or pecans. They remind me of the Priesthood in my life, my late husband, my father, the Bishop and my home teacher. They are there for me stable and dependable.

I love the "volunteers" in my garden, they just find a place and volunteer to fill that spot. They remind me of the great friends I have in the Dallas 4th Ward, who are always volunteering to help and love, or give time.

I love "knockout" roses, and I buy one every year. They "magnify their callling" as roses. They bloom several times a year - contantly contributing to my joy! They are like the gospel in my life, because the blessing of the Gospel in my life is endless.

Finally I love my blackberry bushes - they were the love of my husband's garden, and I have merely tended them for him since his death. They have mean thorns that protect their delicate delicious fruit, and I have a healthy respect for them - even the birds don't go near them. But when I get to harvest them with a gloved hand, they remind me of Alma's seeds of faith, they are delicious to my soul....

2 comments:

Jeanne Grant said...

I love these insights! I am so glad you are part of my "garden"!

Alissa said...

I loved this thought! Thank you so much for sharing!