.

.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

"The wonderful thing about books...."

"The wonderful thing about books - and the thing that made them such a refuge for the islanders during the occupation - is that they take us out of our time and place and understanding, and transport us not just into the world of the story, but into the world of our fellow readers, who have stories of their own."
THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL SOCIETY - pg. 287
I was hesitant to read this book as I do not like "cutesy" titles. Books that are "too" clever kind of wear me out. The book had been suggested often by several women in our interest group but set aside for other considerations. I finally decided to check it out of the library in its CD format. I listened to it and had to READ it. The above quote comes towards the end of the book but says it all for me. I read to - for a moment - go somewhere else in time and place. Reading gives me a break from my reality or it puts my reality in perspective. I have not had much time or opportunity to travel and experience exotic locals or people. Not physically anyway. But because of my love of reading I have been EVERYWHERE and been able to meet so many fascinating people - at least in my mind.
We are having a review of this book, THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL SOCIETY on Tuesday, April 5, 7:30PM at Barbara Doerk's home.

No comments: