.

.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

THE GREATEST "GIFT" EVER

Last night I read the talk, "Receive the Holy Ghost" by Elder David A. Bednar, from the October, 2010 General Conference. It will be the text we study this Sunday at Relief Society. This greatest of gifts, we are bestowed, comes by the laying on of hands, through the Priesthood with the direction "Receive the Holy Ghost", to be with us always. With the bestowal of this gift, comes the admonition to so live the gospel of Jesus Christ, with exactness and faith, so that the Holy Spirit will remain with us constantly to direct, comfort, warn and testify of truth.


I want to share my favorite quote on the Holy Ghost, which come from an early apostle Parley P. Pratt. I have it typed and pasted on the inside of my bible, so that I see it often:

"The gift of the Holy Ghost, quickens all the intellectual faculties, increases, enlarges, expands and purifies all the natural passions and affections; and adapts them, by the gift of wisdom, to their lawful use. It inspires, develops, cultivates and matures all the fine-toned sympathies, joys, tastes, kindred feelings, and affections of our nature. It inspires virtues, kindness, goodness, tenderness, gentleness and charity. It develops beauty of person, form and feature. It tends to health, vigor, animation, and social feelings. It invigorates all the faculties of the physical and intellectual man or woman. It strengthens, and gives tone to the nerves. In short, it is, as it were, marrow to the bone, joy to the heart, light to the eyes, music to the ears, and life to the whole being. "


I know that I have witnessed this animation, beauty, purity, peace and goodness among many of our Dallas 4th Ward Relief Society Sisters. Let us all live to have the Gift of the Holy Ghost permeate our lives.

6 comments:

Jeanne Grant said...

I loved this quote - thanks so much for this Karen!

Ruth said...

Karen, I L.O.V.E. this quote!!! Thank you for the great lead-in to our lesson this Sunday too!

Anonymous said...

Dearest sisters,
I couldn't in a million years give you a better intro to our lesson than Karen did. So please show up Sunday with a grateful heart for the gift of the Holy Ghost which we are able to receive and keep with us always.

Shirlee C.

Julia said...

Thank you for such an uplifting quote. I think that I too, will put this in my scriptures to se often.
Julia

Alissa said...

It is a beautiful quote. Helps me to appreciate the Holy Ghost even more.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful quote, Karen! As soon as I get new ink in my printer, I'll follow your example and print a copy to keep available.
Ruthie