.

.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Resolutions

As we come to the close of 2010 I've been thinking a lot about what I want to improve in my life. On Tuesday night I made a list of goals I want to accomplish daily. Some are a bit more difficult than others. And some are things I already do most days. But I want 2011 to stand out as a year I grew closer to the Lord. Now, I'm no stranger to the effort it takes to make changes in our lives. So I'm implementing a technique I learned on my mission: setting a guarantee. My guarantee for 2011 is that I do at least half of my daily goals. That way I'll work towards improving my life without getting disappointed in myself when I slip up a bit. My challenge to each of you is to set a goal & guarantee. Mabye your goal is to attend the temple once a month but your guarantee is to go 6 times in 2011. Or maybe your goal is to read the weekly RS lesson before Sunday and your guarantee is to do it at least once a month. Sisters, I know that the Lord knows each of our circumstances. And He is waiting to carry our burdens and bring more happiness to our lives. But we have to act first. Let's make sure we set a New Year's Resolution to improve some part of our spiritual lives, thereby qualifying for the blessings of guidance and comfort from our Savior. I testify that He will help us reach our goals if we continually strive to improve ourselves daily.

To help us ponder these truths, here are a few thoughts from lds.org:

Resolutions by Elder Christensen of the Seventy

Keeping New Year's Resolutions

Do Thigns That Make a Difference by Elder Ballard

2 comments:

barbara said...

Ruth, I think this is very admirable and I hope you are successful. I may even try a couple of resolutions for 2011.

Jeanne Grant said...

I love these ideas - thanks Ruth!