.

.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

35 years a CONVERT of Relief Society

I have actually been a member of the church since my baptism at 8 years old. I have just celebrated my 37th wedding anniversary. David and I moved to Dallas upon graduation from college 35 years ago. And it was in the Dallas 4th Ward that I learned the true value of Relief Society.
I, of course, had endured the "quasi" Relief Societies that existed at BYU. As a student I could not really afford any of the crafts and none of the other students were that accomplished in a skill set to even teach. But that all changed when I moved to Dallas.
I was desperately homesick. I was pregnant with my second child. I missed the stimulus of a college campus and all it afforded. And I thought the women in the Dallas 4th ward were much older than me and a little scary. I felt attending Relief Society on Tuesdays was a "suggestion" as opposed to a law of obedience. I did not have any money to participate in the crafts and/or contribute to the luncheons (part of the set-up back then) with the homemaking meetings at that time.
It was a Tuesday during the Fall, much like our Super Saturday on the 18th, and D4 RS was doing crafts for Christmas. I decided to bite the bullet and make a wreath. A dear woman, Barbara Dunn who is still in R2 RS, was helping to defray the costs with the fabric. I sat next to another woman with red hair and a ready smile, Karen Bateman. I had no native ability with anything having to do with decorating or fabric or symmetry. However, I sat next to my new friend Karen, who understood that this wreath was much more than a decoration. It would be something I could finish and enjoy in the days to come and she was right!
I did need a lot of help on how to tie the ribbon onto the wreath and then "fluff" it. I wish I had saved it as a wonderful memory of a testimony shift. I made some friends that day - real eternal connections. AND, I had come to the meeting feeling big and pregnant and lost in a set of grown up details and yet I came away appreciating the potential of what a sisterhood outside my family meant. A little of the fear and dread of a new place and situation began to drift away.
I do not think everyone is for everyone. But I do know that participation in Relief Society is for everyone. One can find "someone" amidst the "everyone" that will help create a mental shift in a way that will help lighten the load, or gain insight, or be a reprieve from the burdens one might carry.
I do not believe I am overstating it when I say that events such as our Super Saturday on September 18th are more than a suggestion depending on time constraints - but really an answer to our own prayers or the person sitting next to us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree 100% that involvement in some activity is our making a positive effort to banish loneliness and maybe even learn a new craft or meet a new friend, as you did.

Have you investigated "Passive House" design to make our homes more energy efficient? The church talks about preparedness with food and money storage, but how about accessing our homes energy intake and making them better by using less utilities. See the website at .
--- Holley Rock