.

.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Civic Duty

Friday I had jury duty. I reported to the Municipal Court Building on Harwood Street in Dallas. (This building is seriously old and needs more help with the A/C than our RS room!) Because of the number and ages of my children, I have only qualified for this privilege for the last 7 years. I have never been picked for a jury, I think it is my red hair, but I am always amazed that we have this judicial system. And that this system - against all odds - works.
I sat in a room full of people from all walks of life, ethnic background, and ages. We were sworn in and our rights and responsibilities were explained to us and we were generously thanked for coming. Then we mostly just sat and waited and waited some more.
I left the building feeling a little "virtuous" by having made my way downtown and exercising my civic duty to give my fellow citizens a chance to be heard by a jury of their peers - a constitutional right.
Coming home, I thought that this opportunity should not be called "jury duty" but "jury privilege".
I just know if I ever had to go to trial and have my case heard by a jury, I would the people there and selected to reflect who my "peers" would or should be.
Like voting at EVERY election, going for jury duty is my CIVIC duty and I really am grateful for the chance to be part of this system.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you to go downtown on a hot summer day. It's a funny thing about doing your "civic duty" -- it's usually not very fun, but you feel really great afterwards! Keep up the good work!

- Mary

Kim Adair said...

So many people think jury duty is a pain and major inconvenience. Though I've not been priveleged to have the opportunity yet, I believe it would be a great experience. Church members are a virtuous and moral people, and this is what our justice system needs!

Mary Reid said...

I finally figured out how to sign in... Here's a quote I ran across this morning From Pres. Monson: President Monson emphasized the importance of cooperation in civic endeavors: “We have a responsibility to be active in the communities where we live, all Latter-day Saints, and to work cooperatively with other churches and organizations. My objective there is ... that we eliminate the weakness of one standing alone and substitute for it the strength of people working together.”

Link to this article at: http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-mormon-ethic-of-civility

Anonymous said...

Jeanne, I felt as you do when I returned from 2 days jury duty early last year. It definitely was a privilege to see a young returned vet get some justice after 4 years of lies and delays when his car was totaled. The extra blessing was truly spiritual because after the wreck to Dad's shop in January 1970 and the 3 years drag through the courts, we got NOTHING for our losses. The 3 lawyers got rich at our expense, which left me with a horrible angry taste in my mouth. Yet, after this 2009 Jury Duty, the Spirit washed away all those angry and hurt feelings because God told me I had to live through those 1970experiences to be ready to help this young fellow, just as my Great Grandmother Tabor had to endure the loss of 3 young children and her house during the Civil War to know how to cope with the loss of her house in Edwards County in the 1880s. She taught the younger children how to "camp out and love it". There is nothing so bad that something good cannot be learned from it. -- Holley Rock

barbara said...

Wish I'd known you were down this way and we have met for lunch!! I love getting jury duty notifications. Usually, though, I just have to call in and see if they need me. When I'm no longer working, I would like to register as a grand juror. I think that would be very interesting. I know how you feel about making it downtown on your own, I did it on the lite rail. Hope your journey was a good one.