.

.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Are We Watching?

I was reading a great article on "watch groups" and was concerned that there is not nearly the oversight or outrage voiced by the public over what is on TV as there has been in the past. I know some of us will say we don't watch television (I don't believe that too much!) but there should be a general concern over what our community is faced with.
There is a wonderful website - www.parentstv.org - where we can get on and let advertisers know how we feel about the programs they are sponsoring. It is our CIVIC DUTY.
I do not wish this to be a posting that gets a lot of negative comments about the evil in mass media etc. I just wanted to make you aware of an opportunity to spread our voice of what we would LIKE to see and hear and what we will not be a part of.

2 comments:

Mary Reid said...

I really DON'T watch prime time TV. Usually we watch science, history, old movies, car stuff (for you-know-who), Glenn Beck (when I can wrangle TV time), and the kids watch cartoons like "Stories from the New Testament" or "Book Of Virtues." I haven't watched prime time stuff for years now. I've never even seen an "American Idol" or "Dancing With the Stars!" Yet somehow, we survive. I'll take a look at the site, but I can't be specific on current show offerings. I wholeheartedly agree with you on your sentiment.

Anonymous said...

Watching TV is done at my cousin's home when the Dallas Cowboys are playing. From the few programs seen on her tube, I am truly grateful there is NO television hookup in my house. The monthly cost is prohibitive for the trash they are broadcasting.

I believe that this time in my life (after age 50) should be spent "cramming for my final" by reading other religious books, doing weekly work for God (Visit Teaching or temple work), putting my house and yard in order. It seems a stupid waste of money for me to have television and internet hookups, cell phone or Ipods with which to play. Simplify and Prepare is my focus. -- Holley Rock