.

.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

MUCH WAS ACCOMPLISHED IN HOT JULY!

I was outside today, giving a little water to several flowers that were hanging their heads. Even though the earth is still damp down under from all the rain, the blasting sun was causing them distress. On the other side of the flower bed was a big Shasta daisy that stood tall and proud, and seemed very unaffected. July is so hot, and it is a time of reflection for me (in the air-conditioning!). I think of the Founders of our great country,who persevered in that hot, humid room in Philadelphia in July, while they argued and persuaded a Consititution into existence. I think of those first pioneers who looked over the Salt Lake Valley on a hot July day, and called it home and a place of refuge - even though journals recorded they could only see two real trees.

"Firm as the mountains around us, stalwart and brave we stand - on the rock our Father's planted for us in this goodly land". I am so grateful for those who have gone before me, and established a land, "choice above all other lands", as we read in the Book of Mormon. I am grateful for Joseph, the Prophet, who restored Christ's church on earth again in our dispensation, and for pioneers who gave literally their all to establish it in the tops of the mountains - to radiate to all the world.

I hope we all can stand straight and tall like the Shasta Daisy in the face of the blasting sun which seems prophetic for "our time on earth" - and accomplish what we were sent here to do, and not "wilt" at the first sign of distress, or hard thing.

3 comments:

Jeanne Grant said...

Great thoughts Karen!!!

nitwhitz said...

I enjoyed your comments, too, Karen...you have a true gift w/ words! Laurie W.

Bonnie said...

Love July. I am finally warm.
Great thoughts, Karen.